Monday, February 13, 2012

A Quote from Yesterday's Game

Because of changes in our gaming group's makeup, I haven't been refereeing D&D in any form for a while, but I have been playing in a Labyrinth Lord campaign that uses the excellent Red Tide setting. In that campaign, I play a cleric of the Maker named Brother Egon. In the course of the adventure, our party rescued a wounded young boy, who, upon waking up, began to cry hysterically, making it impossible for my no-nonsense cleric to interrogate him about how he came to be in his current predicament. Unable to calm the boy, Brother Egon turned to one of our female companions, a Viking-esque warrior woman named Inga Skarsgard. I implored her, "Inga, you're a woman, calm the boy." Then, my wife, who's playing Inga, said, without missing a beat, in a loud voice, "Stop crying, stupid boy!"

It was priceless.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, those are the little moments that make the true magic of our little hobby...we must cherish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been playing games and not giving us updates?

    You're such an excellent storyteller it's a shame we don't get to hear the adventures of Egon & Inga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the name of Brother Egon inspired by Ghostbusters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother Egon's name is only inspired by Ghostbusters to the extent that I've always liked that character and the name Egon and now Red Tide (one of whose human cultures is pseudo-Germanic) has given me the opportunity to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the tough love of a Norse woman. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. (sniffle) reminds me of me mum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I'm dying to know is: did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always a lot of fun to hear about people using your material. I sent along a download code for An Echo, Resounding that might be handy for the campaign- the Westmark writeup in the back has a lot of material that can be scalped for a particular table's take on the Sunset Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that was funny enough to bother reading it to my wife. She agreed. She laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a similar vein, once my (very blokey tradie) mate Gary was playing a female character. The party came upon a little girl and he said, in his deep voice, "I'll just act all maternal and shit" then loudly sniffed a wad of snot back up his nose.

    He got a penalty to his reaction roll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classic. This is why more of the fairer sex need to play The Game. We all need more player common sense. ;)

    ReplyDelete